About Rube Goldberg
Have you heard of Rube Goldberg? He’s a brilliant American cartoonist, scientist, inventor, and author who was best known for his very complicated gadgets that perform simple tasks in strange, eccentric, fun ways!
In a Rube Goldberg machine, a series of parts perform simple tasks and are linked together to activate the next part and so on….. Each part is inter-linked and does one thing that activates the next thing, and finally it completes a task.
If you haven’t seen one yet, here’s a Guinness Book of World Records’ video on a series of gadgets that light up a Christmas tree!
So, as fans of Rube Goldberg, we’ve written up our ideas and tried some at home, and even at school. So, seeing a Rube Goldberg game on Amazon was an instant Yes!
While we bought 3 of these games, this is the very first one we tried. The goal is super-silly – help the frog catch the fly!
Amazon has 1 review that’s very, very low and we kinda-sorta agree with it, but we’ve actually enjoyed playing with this set in different ways, which is what the point of a Goldberg machine is!
The product video is below:
- Fun level: Yes! Very much.
- Frustration level: is extremely high, this is really not as simple as connecting pieces together. We’ve had to make tons of adjustments and it still won’t do exactly what we need it to.
- Sturdy and good quality: Very much. The pieces are super-cute, very well-made and can be used over and over.
- No batteries: This is a big one for my mom, so I’ll throw it in there.
- Reach-out-again level: is very, very high. We’ve used these pieces again and again to design our own challenges. Our frog has never caught its fly but all the pieces are busy doing other fun things in our house.
- Challenge: too high. Can be frustrating if you need it to do exactly what it’s built for.
- Instructions: were not great, but there is a video and that helped us to an extent.
☆☆☆☆ – Recommended for kids who are willing to make up their own games.
8 years and up is recommended, which sounds about right. Again, only if you’re willing to ignore what it’s supposed to do and make up your own silly contraption.
Where to buy:
Please Note: We will only post text and sometimes video recommendations of products that we have actually used. Our ratings will always be based on our experience with the product.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.