What is Energy?
Energy is the ability to do work. It is what makes matter move or change.
Energy helps you walk across the street, throw a ball into the air, vacuum your house, watch television and ride the bus to school. Some of the above are possible because we have figured out how to convert energy from one form into another and use it to do our work.
Types of energy
There are many types of energy, but they can be categorized into 2 types:
- Potential energy
- Kinetic energy
Potential Energy has 4 forms:
- Chemical energy – the energy stored in the bonds between atoms that holds molecules together
- Nuclear energy – the energy stored in the nucleus of the atom that holds the nucleus together
- Gravitational energy – the energy an object has because of its position or height
- Elastic energy – or stored mechanical energy, is energy stored in an object by the application of force
Kinetic Energy has 5 forms:
- Mechanical energy – or motion, is the movement of objects or substances from one place to another
- Electrical energy – the energy from flow of electric charge (movement of electrons in one direction)
- Thermal energy – or heat energy, the internal energy of a substance due to the vibration of atoms and molecules making up the substance
- Radiant energy – or light energy, or electromagnetic energy that travels in transverse waves
- Sound energy – the movement of energy through substances in the form of compression waves